A complete guide on how to grow plum tomatoes in your home garden without scratching your heads. Have a look!
The secret to the saucy delights is plum tomatoes. They are juicy, have an oval-shaped meat texture, and have sweet-acid flavors. It gives a thick texture to the food and uses in preparing sauces. Many gardeners opt for plum tomatoes as they are easy growing and can grow in a tropical environment.
If you are looking for the easiest growing plant, then for beginners, it is the best. This article will focus on how to grow plum tomatoes, their varieties, and caring tips.
Do you ever think of growing pumpkins at home? Well, it is no more only thought once you read our guide on how to grow pumpkins at home.
So, without further adieu, continue reading to learn how to grow the plum tomatoes in your areas and harvest them. But, before that, an overview of plum tomatoes is necessary for you to understand the difference between other tomatoes. And what are other varieties that you can grow?
An Overview About Plum Tomatoes
Plum tomatoes are oval and slightly longer than regular round-type tomatoes. They usually have pear-shaped fruits. However, their size may be different. The size ranges from mini plums with an average size of 2.5 cm to large plum tomatoes that attain the height of five inches when mature completely.
Plum tomatoes are different from regular tomatoes because they have juicy pulp and two seeds’ loci. The watery material pulp of the tomatoes reduces significantly in the plum tomatoes. This is why they have rich texture and flavors.
Moreover, Plum tomatoes don’t have many seeds. This is why they are best suited for making sauces. In addition to this, plum tomatoes are also used for salad purposes, making dishes, and sauces.
Not only that, you can grow many vegetables at home easily. For that, you need to check our guide on how to grow vegetables at home.
Different Varieties of Plum Tomatoes to Grow In Your Garden
Numerous varieties are available to grow in your garden spaces. Before you proceed with growing plum tomatoes, know about these varieties and choose wisely. Also, the variety of plum tomatoes can be categorized into two forms.
Also Read: How to Grow Potatoes [9 Easy Steps]
We have given a brief overview of both the varieties so that you can choose according to your preference and the climate conditions where you live. Have a look!
1. Semi-Determinate/ Determinate Varieties
Find out some of the Semi-Determinate/ Determinate varieties below:
a) Sunrise Sauce
The sunrise sauce is known for its bright golden color and has a thick pear shape. They have a slightly sweet taste and produce for a short duration. Like other plum varieties, it is also used in making sauces.
It requires a determinate growth habitat and is best suited to grow even in small spaces.
b) Roma VF
Roma VF plum tomatoes are best suited to grow in garden spaces. The name of the plant variety signifies that it is highly defiant to the Fusarium and Verticillium wilt.
This medium variety plant can grow only up to four feet in height. Due to its rich texture, it is widely used in making sauces and eaten raw in the form of salad.
c) Banana Legs
The banana legs are a variety of forms with a pointed edge and generally have a sausage shape. It produces bright yellow fruit that grows up to four inches in height. The texture is meaty and sweeter.
d) San Marzano
San Marzano is best if you are looking for the best small size plum tomatoes variety to grow in your garden. This variety of plum tomatoes is known for its meaty texture and is widely used in making sauces for pizza and pasta.
The fruit is generally cylindrical and may grow up to three inches in height, having a rich texture and a blunt tip.
2. Indeterminate Varieties
Below are some of the most popular Indeterminate varieties that you can grow in your home:
a) Big Mama Tomatoes
As the name of the varieties indicates, Big Mama tomatoes are bigger. It has a bright red color and may grow up to three to five inches. This variety of tomato is best suited for canning, sauces, and soups.
b) Amish Paste Tomatoes
This variety has long cylindrical tomatoes fruit and has a tapered end. This is rich in flavor and has a meaty texture. You can use them for preparing salsas and salad.
c) Pozzano Tomatoes
Pozzano is one of the best varieties of tomatoes that can be grown in garden areas. This is a hybrid variety that is highly resistant to tomato mosaic virus, Fusarium wilt, Blossom end rot, and verticillium wilt. The tomatoes have blunt tips and are used in making paste for curries.
d) Speckled Roman
Speckled roman has bright red color fruits with bright gold color stripes and streaks. The variety of tomatoes can grow around five inches in length. The tomatoes have a tangy texture, which is why it is used in making sauces.
These are some of the varieties that can easily be grown in your home garden. Most of these varieties are weather-resistant and can be grown anywhere. Choose the one according to your needs.
A Complete Plum Tomatoes Growing Guide
Plum tomatoes can be grown in your tropical climate quickly. First, however, you need to maintain the optimum growth condition to support its growth.
Here, we will provide you with step-by-step instructions to help you learn how to grow the plum tomatoes plants. So, what are you waiting for, keep scrolling and learn to grow your plum tomatoes with ease!
Step 1: Plant Seeds
You can also grow your baby plum tomatoes using seeds. Here are some tips on how to plant plum tomatoes seeds.
- Take a seed tray and add some potting compost into the tray. Flatten the compost into the tray with the help of the stick.
- Make some grooves into the compost with the help of your fingers in a straight line.
- Take seeds and place them into the grooves. Make sure to cover the seeds with soil.
- Press the seeds gently and add water to the soil. Ensure that the soil doesn’t dry off.
- Keep the tray in a warm sunny place so that the seed will sprout out properly. Maintain the ideal temperature range from 70-80 degrees F.
Step 2: Wait for True Leaves on Seedlings
Seedlings start appearing within five to ten days. Once you start observing the seedlings, you need to adjust them to the outside environment.
- Keep the seedling tray outside where they can receive bright sunlight.
- Add water consistently to avoid drying the soil.
- Repeat the process unless you observe the first leaves. It may take one or two weeks to show the true leaves. So, keep patience.
Step 3: Transplantation of the Tomato Seedlings
When the seedlings start appearing as true leaves, this is the right time to transplant the tomato plant into different pots. Here are the quick steps to follow for transplanting.
- Take a module having six large size pots. Add soil and compost into the pots.
- Now create a hole in the center of the soil.
- Pull out seedlings from the tray carefully with the help of a sharp tool and lift them. Handle the young seedlings carefully and avoid touching them to prevent them from breaking.
- Transplant the seedling into the hole created in the pot and insert the plant into it. Gently fill the hole with the soil and compost.
- Ensure that the compost and soil cover the first two leaves. Continue the process with other seedlings and water them properly.
- Place them under the sunlight.
Step 4: Transplanting of the Tomato Plant into Large Pots
When your plant becomes mature or grows optimally for four weeks, the plant is ready for transplantation. For transplanting, follow these steps:
- Take a large pot or container and fill it with nutrient-rich soil. Next, add water to moisten the soil.
- Now, remove the tomato plant from the module carefully by gently pushing them upward.
- Dig out a hole into the soil and add a small amount of water. Now, place the removed plant into the hole. Cover the roots with soil.
- Press down firmly to ensure that plant withstands securely.
- Also, keep all the plants in separate containers because they require space to grow.
Step 5: Water Tomato Plants Correctly
Tomatoes are a water-loving plant so never let them dry off. These are some of the tips that will help you to water plum tomatoes plants correctly:
- Keep the soil moist but do not over log the soil with water. Pour water into the soil only when the soil starts drying.
- Ensure to water directly into the soil and stem region, not on the leaves. If you wet the leaves, then they may develop diseases.
- Use distilled water only because; tap water has so many chemicals such as chlorine. This may affect the growth of the plant.
Step 6: Stake Plum Tomatoes Plant
The plant of the plum tomatoes matures fully within no time, and it keeps on expanding. So, it is better to use stake the plant. As a gardener, you can use flat stakes to make the structure.
- Take the stakes and securely place them next to the tomato plant in the soil.
- Cut the string piece and carefully pull out the tops of the stakes. Try to keep them close to each other.
- Now, put all the stakes together and join the pieces at the top. It creates a wigwam effect. Now, take small pieces of the strings having the same length. Start tying them at the bottom to support them gently.
Step 7: Pamper Your Plant
Keep in mind that plum tomatoes proliferate. Therefore, the plant sooner becomes bushy and tall. At this stage, you need to track the shoots.
You can remove some extra leaves by pinching them off. This helps to promote the plant’s growth and deal with stunted growth. The plant may take more than thirty days to mature fully. Till then, you can track the foliage to ensure the proper growth of the plant.
Step 8: Get Rid of Excess Leaves
The best way to remove excess leaves is to cut the stems off with a sharp knife and secateurs. Removing leaves can be helpful for the optimum growth of the plant.
However, while removing the excess leaves, do ensure not to cut near the flowers or those parts that support the fruit or flowers—this helps to cultivate the fruits faster and properly.
Step 9: Take Care of Flower Stems
In some time, you will see bunches of small flowers that will turn into plum tomatoes. You might notice that some bunches will start drooping because of the tomatoes on them.
Here’s the guide that will help you to support flower stems and ensure a good amount of plum tomatoes:
- First, you need to cut a small piece of string and tie it with the stem of each bunch.
- Tie another end with the main stem of the plum tomato plant. This will ensure that the plant is in an upright position to take advantage of the bright sunlight.
- You can also use liquid tomato feed once every week. This will ensure that the plant will have healthy plum tomatoes.
How to Care and Maintain Ideal Growth of Plum Tomato Plant?
Tomatoes are amongst the longest-season plants that require a long time to grow. However, you need to nourish your plant during the growing season and care for them adequately to protect them from damage.
In addition to this, maintain the supply of fertilizers and pesticides so that plants can grow optimally. Below are some caring tips that will help you to grow plum tomatoes and ensure a healthy crop on time.
1. Add water Regularly
Tomato plants require a large amount of water to grow properly. So, it is better to keep your plant moist throughout the growing season. Use a water wand to water your plant. It helps to add water directly to the soil and keep it moist.
2. Add Fertilizers
Adding organic fertilizer once after two weeks can help to grow plants properly. You can use nitrogen and phosphorous to support the growth of the plant.
Pruning of the plant is essential to remove the dead twigs that affect the plant’s growth. Remove those items that are dried and turning yellow. Similarly, you can remove the leaves that turn yellow.
How to Harvest Plum Tomatoes?
When the tomatoes are completely ripped and turn red, this is the perfect time to harvest. You can also consider the tomato seed packet to know when tomatoes are ready for harvesting. When the tomatoes turn reddish or have a slightly red and green color, this indicates that tomatoes are ready to harvest.
Ripped tomatoes are easy to tug out and come off with the stem. Do not pull the tomatoes as it may damage the plants, and cut out those tomatoes that are still unripe. Once you collect the ripe tomatoes, brush them and keep them in a dry place.
Grow Plum Tomatoes with Ease
This is the guide that will help you to grow plum tomatoes with ease. We have tried to cover every point that will help you in growing plum tomatoes without any worry.
Plum tomatoes are one of the easiest growing plants that can increase in tropical climate regions. However, while growing, you need to be extra careful about the pest attack and diseases that may damage the fruits. To prevent such conditions, you can use pesticides and insecticides.
In addition to this, do not forget to maintain the nutrient in the soil to support the plant’s growth. During harvesting time, do ensure to cut only those tomatoes when they are completely ripped. Timely water the plant to support the ideal growth.
So, would you grow plum tomatoes in your home? Did you find our step-to-step guide to growing plum tomatoes easy? Do let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.
How long does it take to grow plum tomatoes?
It takes anywhere between 55-90 days to see the fruit on your plum tomatoes plant.
Do I need to pinch side shoots?
For optimum growth and healthy plant, it is a good practice to pinch side shoots from time to time. This will ensure that the plum tomatoes will come in great quantity once the plant is mature enough.
Do I need to stake of plum tomatoes plant?
It would be good to provide staking to your plum tomatoes plans for maximum fruit production.
How much water do I need to give to plum water plants?
Plum tomatoes plant require a lot of water. Ensure that you at least give 1-2 inches of water every week. But do not waterlog your plants otherwise it will rot the plant.